Tuesday, November 2, 2010

i hate taxes but...

today i voted.  which is somewhat depressing.  im glad that i have the ability to vote without fearing for my life, but its not like my vote really counts here in utah.  im pretty liberal, and compared to the "tea party" libertarians, im near communist.  so my vote doesnt really mean much in a state that is unwaveringly red.

this will be relevant later.

on a related note, today i realized i have become a california snob.

last night, our landlord came down and gave us the mail key since they are going out of town, and we had the world series on [sounds of celebration].  he didnt know we were giants fans, or even that we were both from califonria, though different parts.  his parting comment? "you guys are good people for being from california."

what the H does that even mean?

apparently people from california are generally awful?  maybe we are generally liberal? generally homeless?  generally high?  no idea.

and then someone i know who recently moved to california for grad school posted something on facebook about:
a) how if a resolution about medical marijuana passed, she was leaving CA,
b) that california didnt need any more hippies,
c) that she as a californian had a vested interest in this, and
d) that californian registered voters were "hipsters."

you are going to think im nuts, but this genuinely annoyed me.  i dunno if it had something to do with the fact that we have always had differences stemming from the fact that i was a liberal west coaster and she wasnt, but now she was calling herself a californian, or the fact that, regardless of your political beliefs, you at least shouldnt be surprised that california has lots of hippies and resolutions about marijuana, or that most californians would be at least mildly offended at being called hipsters.

insert first paragraph relevance here.

id give anything to live in a state when im not surrounded by people who cant see the issues beyond their weird conspiracy theories or where people dont think that life as we know it is ending because there is a black man in office or where people have the ability to understand that taxes are necessary to decrease the deficit.

if you dont like the hippies, maaaaaaaaybe you shouldnt be in california.

and if you dont like marijuana, dont vote for it.

there. my conscience is clear now.  im a california snob.  and i blame it all on the fact that utah is a ridiculous place that is slowing eroding my sanity and ever darkening my blue status.

now im going to go watch the voting results, relieved that christine o'donnell lost, but still trying not to throw the remote at the other obnoxious tea party idiots.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Today depresses me a great deal. I feel that we, as a nation, are on the decline. I feel the deepening of our political views will further divide us until hopelessness is the word of the day. Red, Blue, Californian or Coloradan, I wish we, as a nation, could once again find something to rally behind and bring ourselves back together and rebuild the foundation of what made us the greatest nation in the world. Sadly, I just don't see this happening anytime soon. Sigh.

Unknown said...

HOWEVER : )

I too think that you are a good person being from California. Because not everybody is, nor is everybody from any state, a good person. My dad is from California and I think he's a pretty rad dude, just as are MOST of the people I know from there. Cali gets a bad wrap for being a "surfer state" and having bad neighborhoods and hosting shows like the OC.
Just like everybody from Wyoming rides horses and lives in the house their grandparents built in the 1800's, everybody from California smokes weed and chills on the beach while their parents buy them new Escalades. I think you have every right to feel offended and generally annoyed when somebody passes judgment or stereotypes or when they associate themselves with something they are not. However, she does reside in the state of CA and TECHNICALLY she would be a Californian if she has legal residence. But you are totally right, I didn't call myself a Utahrd just because I was living there for a few months.

You're not crazy (mostly) and I love you (completely). Even if you do smell like hippie.... ;-)

matt and steph said...

I appreciate your point of view so much! Its so easy for me to see your point of view as well as a more conservative point of view. I have become one of those people who really enjoys listening to politcal discussions, but if you tell me to draw a line in the sand I cant because, to me, I see the benefits to both points of view. I guess I am still figuring out where I (not just what my dad thinks) stand on issues. Thank you for being informed and voicing your opinion, even if you are the minority in the big red state!

Eileen said...

I would move to California. Good job voting! I would have liked to but I'm not allowed. Part of being Canadian I guess... Oh and p.s. I am really excited about the exonerated death row inmate speaker. I see that you started advertising early! :)

Lisa said...

Anti-marijuana people piss me off so badly. Whoopdifreakindoo. How can we have a substance like alcohol legal but not marijuana, when alcohol contributes to many more deaths and has much worse natural consequences for people who abuse it? I mean how often do you hear about people getting killed by high drivers?

I am all for not only medical marijuana but legal marijuana in general and I have plenty of students whom I'd recommend start taking daily doses.

Also, if you want to move back to a blue state, I know a perfect one for you!

Amy Lovell said...

Ha, I have such mixed emotions about politics. How can I not, after spending two years in Washington, D.C. in the heat of it all? I've tried to stop caring, not because I'm unpatriotic, but because it's gotten so out of control it makes me made. And sadly, I believe it's mostly out of control because people really don't understand what's going on, instead they let biased media tell them how to think. Seeing first hand how government works, wow, people are living in the dark.

As for you being a Californian, I still think you're pretty cool. I'm not "technically" one, but seeing that my family and husband is from there, I definitely have California blood that runs deep in me, and I'm OK with that. But hey, being a Utahan and all that I really am, don't dis on it too much. Surprisingly enough, I think Utah is made up of more people migrating to Utah from other states, than those who were actually born and raised there. It's a funny state, but how many of us spend our prime time of life there, and find reason to continue to stay year after year? However, I'd like to take credit for leaving. :) I just have to back my state up a little bit.

Lost in Translation said...

"You guys are good people for being from California?"

WTF?

Utah is such a bizarro place. My husband and I were joking last night that it it doesn't really matter who runs for politics here, because Utahns keep reelecting that bozo Chris Butters. Politics have gone to hell everywhere.

There's this certain attitude of certain Utah residents that makes me batty. You know the type of people. The ones who refer to anywhere outside of Utah as "the mission field" (or "mission filled" because of the accent). Bah.

Jules said...

People are weird. I happen to like lots of Californians. I happen to dislike lots of Californians, as well. Wait a minute! Does that mean there are differences between individuals in California?! No way. ;-)

I think everybody is kind of a snob when it comes to his/her own state. For example, I hate when people use the term "Utah Mormons" or "Utah drivers" in a derogatory fashion. I mean, I'm technically a Utah Mormon and a Utah driver, and I'm pretty awesome. ;-) Ha! But, I know some Utahns who keep the stereotypes alive, so it's understandable.

Don't worry. I'm climbing off my soap box. Stereotypes are just maddening in general, but we all use them. (All people who use stereotypes are horrible! See? There I go.)

For what it's worth, I think you're awesome. You no-good, liberal, pot-head, hippie, Californian. (Teehee.)