Thursday, May 1, 2008

thoughts on graduation


well i survived. 4 freaking ridiculously long years at byu. last week i got to sport a hogwarts robe and a cardboard slab they call a hat (whoever designed graduation 'fits needs a hard whack to the head) and walk with all my pride across the stage to receive my squishy, albeit empty, diploma holder. i was lucky enough to sit between two of my friends (shout outs to kathleen and glenn) with whom i giggled endlessly through the speeches until a much-too-serious-married-dude hissed at us, to which i responded by texting my boyfriend incessantly. all in all, it wasnt a bad ceremony.

im not totally sure how i made it through and, as my brother pointed out, how i made it through unmarried, but somehow i did it. prolly with the support of those who came to my graduation (the klan, granny and gramma). but to be able to say im done was kinda a good feeling. my mom put together this thing with my family that i thought was just a family party but she had invited some family friends that i had no idea were coming. this included my third grade teacher. yeah that sounds kinda funny huh? well when i think of best years in school as well as most inspirational teacher, she is the one, and i havent seen her since 3rd grade cuz we moved. so needless to say, if you know anything about me, i cried. go figure. but it was great and i loved it.

ok so now ill get sentimental. im glad i got to go to byu for my undergrad. i havent always felt this way-when i first started at byu i hated that people assumed i was here simply because i was mormon, i hated that girls got married and dropped out of school, i hated the conformity and the save-your-soul-as-well-as-everyone-elses attitude. and i still hate it. but ive come to appreciate the people as well as the opportunity i had to live in an environment that would strengthen my testimony and put me among the strongest people of our generation. im grateful for the education i received and though i was often frustrated by being one of the few liberals around, it gave me an opportunity to look at things with a different perspective. for those things am i grateful.

::sigh:: and now its off to law school. somewhere. i cant believe it. i finally got old.

1 comment:

Julia said...

Punkin!
You don't know what old is, yet!!
It is a badge of honor that you will have your whole life--graduation from BYU without marriage! That's my girl! What would you expect from parents like yours, anyway???