Tuesday, January 29, 2008

In Loving Memory of Gordon B. Hinkley


on sunday evening the prophet and president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints died. Gordon B. Hinkley was 97.

when i first heard this news i was (ironically) heading to the store and breaking the sabbath. i was shocked. this man had seemed so invincible to me. he has lived through so much, accomplished what no other has accomplished, and he has been the voice of my loving Heavenly Father on earth. i couldnt help but cry. heh im crying now, two days later. he was such a great man, so willing to reach out to the youth, and so intent on maintaining the strength of families. i remember when he was sustained: i was in third grade and we watched it on tv (i was in slc at the time) because my teacher was in MoTab. He has been my prophet, the man that knew me without having met me. he will be so missed.

and though i mourn his passing, i rejoice for him as well. almost exactly 4 years ago Sister Hinkley died, and now he has the opportunity to be with her again! he also gets to be with our Heavenly Father, whom he so diligently served throughout his life. i can still hear his voice when i read his talks, and he will always be the prophet that gave me the strength to live my life as the Lord would have me live it.

for my family that is catholic, im sure you understand the gravity of this event, with the passing of the Pope just two years ago. though you will not see any mormons doing vigils or otherwise, we mourn the passing of the greatest of men on this earth. please keep his family in your prayers.

to GB Hink, my homie, my friend, my prophet. love and peace.



"You were generals in the War in Heaven and one day when you are in the spirit world, you will be enthralled by those you are associated with.
You will ask someone in which time period they lived and you might hear, "I was with Moses when he parted the Red Sea," or "I helped built the pyramids'" or "I fought with Captain Moroni."
And as you are standing there in amazement, someone will turn to you and ask you which of the prophets' time did you live in? And when you say "Gordon B. Hinkley" a hush will fall over every hall and corridor in Heaven, and all in attendance will bow at your presence. You were held back six thousand years because you were the most talented, most obedient, most courageous, and most righteous."
-Elder Boyd K. Packer

5 comments:

Jefe said...

Thanks Alex. That was awesome. You're so amazing, and your writing really portrays your feelings. Even just reading about the propeht, the spirit is strong. Thanks again :)

Miss K$ said...

Good post. I did one too, but not nearly as good.

Julia said...

hey, punkin! I love your thoughts about Pres. Hinckley...he was an amazing man. I always admired his optimism...he was always telling us members that he had confidence in us to follow the Savior.

alexkhulme said...

mommy! you figured it out!! yeah i know, i loved his jokes too...

Heidi said...

I agree that President Hinckley was a great prophet. The quote you attributed to Elder Packer, however, is merely a rumor that unfortunately has circulated the internet. He refuted it back in 2001 here:

President Packer Refutes "Generals" Rumor — LDS Church News / Additional story
A quotation has been widely circulated, attributed to President Boyd K. Packer or other General Authorities, stating that today's youth were "generals in the war in heaven" and that upon their return to heaven "all in attendance will bow in [their] presence." In a statement published in the 28 April 2001 edition of the LDS Church News, an approved publication of the Church, President Packer said, "I did not make that statement. I do not believe that statement. None of the Brethren made that statement." President Packer sent a letter to mission presidents requesting their help in clarifying this matter among missionaries and members.