Thursday, January 21, 2010

ode to 2009

after having been married for a year, id like to think that i haven’t changed at all, that im still same ol’ alex. its true, i am. but it is impossible to live for a year with another person without realizing some things, either about yourself, the other person, or about life in general. here are a few things i have learned:

1. i am way more sensitive than i thought i was. maybe im just sensitive to brian…

2. i am ALWAYS cold. i didn’t know this before but apparently brian has lava running through his veins.

3. living with a husband is much preferable to being single…insta-social life!

4. i am anti social. still outgoing, just anti social.

5. i still don’t know how to cook well. not that it matters if im just eating salads all the time…besides, brian seems to like it….

6. boys get way more into their sports than they let on to their girlfriends. as a husband, all bets are off, and you should take all unanchored objects out of arms reach.

7. as much as i love debating, i hate arguing/fighting.

8. i really like being with my family/husband. on my days off, id choose time with them.

9. when we got married, my family didn’t just double-there are 3 kids in my family, in brians there are 6, plus 3 step siblings…so my family quadrupled (and that’s not including the spouses and kids….). basically i have a great family-in-law. i have two new sisters and 4 more brothers, and new grandmas and aunts uncles and cousins that are all awesome. and the evil step-siblings-in-law are pretty awesome too. and i get to be an aunt to some of the cutest kids on this planet. basically, im loved J

10. i have always been a sports fan, but i will forever be caught up on every sport in the world and all the controversies thanks to my nightly sportscenter intake.

11. both brian and i get stressed when the house is a mess…me more so with dishes…

12. sometimes i get grumpy and i don’t know why. i blame birth control.

13. i really like popcorn. like LOVE it. make it about twice a week…old fashioned style in a pot and everything...

14. i am really protective of my brothers…all of them, even the in law ones…i seem to think it is my duty to kick every trashy, game-playing chica to the curb.

15. there are friends, and there are good friends, but not even those that you love most dearly will ever appreciate just how awesome and wonderful your spouse is.

so there they are. some of the things ive learned this year. i thought 15 were boring enough, so i didn’t add any more. 0verall, 2009 was pretty awesome to me i think. better not cross my fingers that 2010 will be just as good…don’t want to get my hopes up….

5 comments:

LaLasha said...

I agree about the being cold although I know I was cold before I got married and I agree about the antisocail I just want to hang with my husband and I agree about feeling very protective of the inlaw siblings my inlaw sister I would cross lava for just just as I would my blood sister but over all I am the same person and so are you .being married opens your eyes to what you are really like because you have a person to tell you . Its cool kiddo after four year I'm still the tough as nails kick your ass in min lalasha and I'm sure you are still just the nicest person most missed high school friend.

alexkhulme said...

yeah, that is totally how i feel...like all my flaws and quirks and everything else is suddenly magnified and now i realize just how other people see me. its funny. im glad you are the same-i LOVE that hardcoreness about you. aw, that was super sweet :)

lynsey said...

woohoo! a shout out to the evil step-sibs! you're awesome alex and i'm so glad you & brian are married. in the short time we've gotten to spend with you two together, ben & i think you make an awesome couple!

keep on writing, your blog is so much fun to read!

here's ours if you want to take a peek:

www.benseyleb.blogspot.com

-lynsey (the MOST awesome of allllll of the step-sibs :)

ps-i am totally with you on the re-discovery of yourself in one year of marriage.

and it must be a male thing to be so hot-blooded...ben has many stories about my cold hands and feet.

squirrelyearl said...

I'm glad you're getting your prescribed dosage of SC. It does a body good.

Peg said...

2. I'm also always cold (as I sit here with my portable heater pouring onto my feet.)

4. Outgoing but anti social...what a good description. That's me too.

9. You got a new favorite aunt ;-)

12. I get grumpy too, but I can't blame it on birth control. I blame it on genetics.

Sooo happy you married Brian!