Thursday, October 7, 2010

daddy-o, quit your day job

my dad is rad, did you know?

not only was he a captain in the army, a two time cancer survivor, or king of the grill, but he is a master craftsman.

his 6th love (behind his wife, children, politics, mother, and doggies) is wood.  maple, cherry, oak, pine, walnut.  he is more crazy for wood than most normal people are for regular hobbies.

evidence: ever seen this "old yankee workshop"? if not, ive seen enough for everyone. notice the glee on my fathers face while getting the siggy of the show's host-Norm Abrams. he drove two hours just to get him to sign his book.

this works out great for me because that means he makes me fabulous pieces of furniture.

like this gorgeous tv stand.   


the dark wood is walnut and the light is cherry.  the black little door handles are hand carved ebony pieces.

the individual pieces are modular because it is the bottom section of a tansu chest that will [hopefully] be finished later when we have lots more room and less need for a tv stand...


my dad is super gifted and super awesome.  this thing is beautiful and i LOVE it.  im excited to have something that we can hopefully have the rest of our lives and that has way more meaning than an ikea sales piece.  im pretty sure this is the most beautiful free tv stand in the world.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know if you know, but I'm a little crazy for wood-working too. This is amazing! Very inspiring. Now I want to save these pictures and make one of my own. Then I'd just need somebody to give it to... Hmm.

alexkhulme said...

my dad has made each of us beds, an entertainment center, coffee tables, end tables...next on my list is a kitchen table :)

Lisa said...

dude. he is way talented. lucky!

alexkhulme said...

i know he is. this is gonna be his second career i think

Anonymous said...

I picked a good one, 26 years ago, didn't I??? I have good taste and so does he!!

tesslast said...

Sweetness! I love how it looks slightly retro (you know how I love retro!)